Friday 22 February 2013

Flannel Friday - Once I Caught a fish Alive!

This week's flannel set can be used for a number of fishy rhymes and games for storytimes and baby rhymetimes.

I made it primarily to use with this nursery rhyme:


One, two, three, four , five,
Once I caught a fish alive.
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,
Then I let him go again.

Why did you let him go?
Because he bit my finger so.
Which finger did he bite?
This little finger on my right.




I can't take credit for the design (although I'd be proud to). It's the work of MiniEco a UK blogger, designer and author, whose blog I've been following for 2 years or more.  She has generously made her pattern available to download as a .pdf document. I took the pattern and traced it to transform it into a cutting file. The white parts were cut from flocked heat transfer material on a digital cutter, and the backing parts were cut by hand. I then added some numbers cut from sticky-back felt as I'd run out of transfer material.


The backing for the transfer material is clear (once the negative parts of the pattern have been removed) and placed on the flannel/felt fish shape. 






A hot iron is applied, with a cloth between the pieces and the iron, for 45 to 60 seconds and once it's stuck, the backing is peeled away. I really like the details but unfortunately not the price, so I'm looking for an alternative product that is less expensive.















I have plans to make a flannel dish and use it to illustrate the traditional song "Dance to your Daddie". There is some debate as to whether this is an English or a Scottish song, and a comparison of the two sets of lyrics can be found at Mama Lisa's World, a fabulous resource for rhymes and songs from around the world. If you're not familiar this song, this version is most similar to the one that I grew up with and sing in my Rymetimes

If you have more ideas on how to use this set I'd love to hear them. Please leave them in a comment.






You can see all the other Flannel Friday Roundup submissions for this week on Kay Leigh's blog Storytime ABC's.



If you want to know more:


Find out about Flannel Friday on the dedicated website. Features include past roundups, host schedule and how to participate.

Scan images and links to Flannel Friday posts on Pinterest.

Search for flannels and storytime ideas at Mel's Desk.

Discuss storytimes and flannel boards on the Flannel Friday Facebook Page.



2 comments:

  1. The fish are adorable! I find that I am growing a bit jealous of the digital cutters. Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for reminding me of this rhyme. I haven't used it in years. ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. This is a rhyme that I often use, so am pleased to have something new to make it a little different.

    ReplyDelete

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips