Thursday 17 May 2012

Flannel Friday: There's a moose loose aboot this hoose!



It has been a while since I've taken scissors to flannel and I've been wanting to make a Little Mouse flannel for my Toddler Storytimes like this one on So Tomorrow's blog for ages. Finally I found a little time.

But first a little diversion...
 
     Q: What is the connection between the title of this post and Little Mouse?
    
     A: The Scottish pronunciation of 'mouse' as 'moose' and a song...

... with the line, "There's a moose loose aboot this hoose". It comes from a vintage novelty song released in the UK called 'Hoots Mon' by Lord Rockingham's XI.  I wasn't born when it was released, but its one of those tunes that was played on kid's radio and at functions and celebrations throughout my childhood. You'll hear the phrase (mentioned just once) in this YouTube clip*.


Cover scan of Maw Broon's But An' Ben CookbookWith a (albeit contrived) Scottish influence, I wondered how my houses should look, and thought about using a But an' Ben as featured on the cover of Maw Broon's Cookbook.

A But and Ben is a Scottish two-roomed cottage with the but/butt end being the kitchen, and the ben being the bedroom. They do still exist. I lived in a larger and extended version for my first 10 years in Scotland.



The basic but and ben building forms the basis of lots of older granite homes all across the north of Scotland, mostly now extended. This photo of one still in original form (minus a thatched roof), taken by Karen, is of a former smallholding called Guildmuir Pendicle in Angus, and was once inhabited by a character called Hairy Nichol (great name, huh?)



Anyway, enough prattle, here are my houses with a template, and a mouse from clipart suggested by Miss Mary Liberry. Anne at So Tomorrow has instructions on how to play the game "Little Mouse, Little Mouse, Are you in the [...colour] house?" (I may adapt to "Wee Moose"), and Miss Mary suggests the use of a colour spinner for larger crowds. I'll be making one of those for our Family Storytimes.




The Flannel Friday crowd have come up with lots of variations on the game.
I'm sure you'll love them all.


Want more?

Find out all about Flannel Friday on the new website. Features include past round ups and host schedule and how to participate.

Scan the Flannel Friday posts on Pinterest.

Search for flannels and storytime ideas at Mel's Desk.

Discuss storytime and flannelboards on the Flannel Friday Facebook Page.


This week’s round up will be hosted by Linda at Notes from the Storyroom.


* Not embedded to avoid copyright infringement, the risks are summarised succinctly in The Blog Herald.

7 comments:

  1. I really thought you were going to have a moose hidden behind your houses and now I am terribly terribly disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should add one (April 1st Storytime?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully support this!

      Delete
    2. LOL! That would make a fun April Fool's Day flannel. :o)

      LQ, I LOVE all your "prattle"! How fun to learn so much about Scottish ways in a quick, simple Flannel Friday post. And cute houses and mouse, btw! I have always loved that little guy from clipart. He is such a sweet-looking mouse. <3

      Thank you for all the links to all the other ideas, too. How did you remember all of those and have a link for each one. I can't remember from one week to the next who posted what flannel idea. :o{ I need your memory skills!

      Delete
    3. K, my memory skills are very poor, but Mel's Storytime Search (mentioned above) is great for filling in my memory gaps. Glad you liked the post - I enjoy sharing Scotish bits and pieces.

      Delete
  3. I'm so chuffed you used the photo! I only just found your request on my blog LQ! I'm sending a link to your blogspot to my daughter...she teaches P1-7 in tongue Primary school in Sutherland. Your blog is fab! Thanks!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, I'm glad that you've found my blog and liked this post. Your photos and stories are great,

      Delete

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips