Saturday 31 March 2012

Favourite Read Alouds: Dooby, Dooby, Moo

1234 More Storytimes has been featuring a Favorite Storytime book of the week for a while, and Kay over at Storytime ABCs recently asked the Flannel Friday crowd to suggest titles of recommended storytime books to help her in the task of Taming the Infamous To-Be-Read Pile.

I'd also like to introduce you to some of my favourite books to read aloud over the coming weeks.


My most recent discovery has been:
Dooby Dooby Moo by Doreen Cronin

Dooby Dooby Moo


Reading this book out loud is more a performance than a story! I'm not a good singer*, but I really couldn't stop myself with this book!  It was impossible for me NOT to sing the singing parts! Crooning "Dooby, dooby, moo ..." and "Fa la, la, la, la ..." to the tune of Strangers in the Night in an imitation of Sinatra's scat improvisation is the order of the day.

The story is simply that the farm animals want to win a trampoline at the county fair. So behind the farmer's back the cows, sheep, and pigs practise their entries for the talent show. When the show starts, the animals receive mixed reviews and duck feels obliged to step forward and strut his stuff with a rendition of Born to be Wild.

My storytime kids loved it, and they couldn't resist joining in the the animal's version of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, "Dooby, dooby, dooby, moo...", though they (and I) found baa-ing to Home on the Range a little more challenging. Hysterics ensued when the the animals later sing along on their prize trampoline with the all the accompanying BOINGS!

We laughed and had lots of fun with this book, and I hope you do too.  Just make sure to have the tunes in mind before you start!

I've found it to be most popular with groups of 3 to 4 year olds, but it would also work for older, younger or mixed groups.


* I don't see this as a problem. In fact, I'd say it is a positive advantage. Many carers also don't have great singing voices, but it's important for their child's early literacy that they establish attunement with their baby, and singing is a very effective and fun way to do it. Modelling this behaviour in storytimes helps carers see ways that they can do it themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips